What is a HDMI Matrix and how do you set up a 4x4 matrix?
Having a multi-monitor setup may be confusing, especially if you’re also dealing with multiple HDMI input devices. For instance, if you have a TV, a monitor, and a projector in one room, and you want to connect your gaming console, DVD player, and laptop to each display device, you’ll have to manually plug in every cord to their respective ports. While that sounds easy enough, what if you suddenly want to connect your gaming console to a different device, your laptop to the projector, and so on. That’s where an HDMI matrix switch comes in.
An HDMI matrix switch allows you to connect multiple input devices to multiple output devices and have complete control over which of those devices is connected to which display output. To expound, you can connect up to 4 input devices and 4 display outputs to your switch and be able to manually select if you want to connect input 1 to output 4, or input 3 to output 1.
Even better, you can also make a matrix switch function like a regular HDMI splitter or an HDMI switch. With this device, you can:
Set up 1 input device so it shows on all your output monitors. For example, you can connect your laptop to 4 different monitors and have all of them receive the same video signal.
- Have 4 different input devices and select which one you want to connect to your TV. For example, you can connect your Xbox, Playstation, and Blu-ray player to your 4K UHD TV at home and choose which one you want to use with just the press of a button.
Now, before you rush to the end of this article and buy your own HDMI matrix switch, let’s quickly discuss the different factors that you should know before you purchase one. Here are some questions you may want to answer first.
How many input devices do you have?
Determining the number of input devices allows you to choose a matrix that will suit your needs. Count how many devices you’re planning to connect to determine if you need an HDMI Matrix 4x4, 2x4, or others.
How many output devices do you have, what are their resolutions, and do they share the same specifications?
Just like the input devices, you also have to know how many monitors you’ll be using for your setup. When you’re all set with that, check the max resolution that each monitor supports. This is important, especially if you own high-end monitors or TVs, because you have to get a matrix that can support them. And lastly, do these monitors share the same specifications? Some matrix switches can only support a single resolution, which means that it will only be able to display the best resolution that all display devices can support.
HDMI media content has security systems in place that help with preventing copyright violations and piracy. It’s best to get a matrix that is compliant with the latest HDMI and HDCP standards. If not, there is a chance that you might not be able to stream any HDMI media content through your HDMI matrix switch.
Once you’re all set with these, you may now start the search for your next matrix and start enjoying the convenience of owning one! Let’s jumpstart your search with a great product that might just be able to support your current and future setups.
The OREI UHD-404R is a 4 input, 4 output HDMI matrix switch that fully supports 4K Ultra High Definition media content. This 4K HDMI matrix switch is compliant with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 1.4 standards, and features a full-metal enclosure making it durable, as well as helping to minimize any outside interference from causing any issues with the sensitive electronics inside.
Some of its more advanced features include:
- Support for IR control which means that you can control it through an IR remote that comes free with the unit.
- The ability to control your matrix from a desktop computer or a laptop through the RS-232 port.
- An auto-downscaling feature that allows you to use monitors with different resolutions without any issues or changes in your other monitor’s quality.
- An EDID switch that allows you to adjust the frame rate and resolution of your input media to match the output of your monitors.
The UHD-404R supports a variety of modern HDMI devices such as gaming consoles, media players, laptops, and DVD players.
Here’s how to set up the HDMI matrix switcher in just 5 easy steps.
- Start with arranging your setup. This includes all your input and output devices, as well as the UHD-404R. The UHD-404R can be mounted off the floor, but be sure that the IR sensor isn’t blocked so you can freely control it with your IR remote.
- Connect all your input and output devices to the OREI UHD-404R. If you’ll be controlling the matrix with your computer, you may also connect it now using the RS-232 port.
- Power up all your devices. Connect the matrix to a power source as well. Make sure you use the power adapter that came with the device.
- After a few seconds, your monitors should display the input device they’re currently set to display.
- Lastly, to optimize your viewing experience, adjust the EDID switches. To do this, follow the steps indicated inside the instruction manual.
Are you ready to get your hands on the best HDMI switch for gaming, entertainment, and work? Get the OREI UHD-404R now from our store! In our shop, you can review this product in-depth and be able to check all the technical specifications you need in order for you to make an informed buying decision.Be sure to check out our blog to learn more about other types of HDMI devices!